Change in Family Status (QLE)

If you experience a Qualifying Life Event (QLE) or change in family status, you are able to make changes to who is covered under your benefits.

Qualifying events include:

  • Marriage
  • Divorce
  • Birth or Adoption
  • Loss or gain of other coverage (employee or dependent)
  • Death of a dependent

State Health Changes (Medical)

Typically, there is a 31 day window to initiate a change in benefits. This means that you have 31 days from the event date (ex: wedding day, loss / gain of coverage date) to make changes with State Health.  The only exception to this is the birth or adoption of a child, as you have 90 days from the date of birth.  If you miss the window, your next opportunity to change will be during the next open enrollment period, and coverage would not begin until January 1st of the new year.


Initiating a Change for State Health (Medical)

  1. Gather documentation.  Hospital issued birth certificate and social security number for your new baby, or marriage license / spouse's social security number for marriage. Other documentation showing benefit effective / termination date is required for gain / loss of coverage.  Your final decree would be required to remove your spouse as part of a divorce QLE.
  2. Access the SHBP/ADP portal.  The Registration code is: SHBP-GA if needed.
  3. Respond to requests from ADP.  ADP will contact you with instructions and deadlines for submitting documents; be sure to respond to their request by the deadline provided to ensure the changes are processed.
  4. Send a copy of documentation to the Benefits Department at


Initiating a Change for Local Benefits

To change dental, flexible spending, or life, follow the process below.

  1. Access the HCSD Benefits Center by clicking here: Benefits Portal.
  2. Scroll down to Events Available, and select the appropriate event.
  3. Click Begin Event and follow the instructions to complete the change.
  4. Send a copy of documentation to the Benefits Department at